If anybody knows how hard it is to pack for a weekend getaway (or just any trip), it’s me. I seem to have acquired a knack for over packing through the years and then struggling to lug my bags around airports, bus terminals, or train stations. So, for the past year I have been trying to learn how to transport my life in a small carry-on for weekend getaways. I don’t have it down to a science, but I have developed a little list to use that always makes it a little easier to choose what to pack and to make sure I don’t forget necessities. So here it is:
1. Toiletries: If you are traveling with friends try to plan to share certain things like shampoo, conditioner, lotions, toothpaste, and/or blowdriers/straighteners. Also, if you are staying at a friend’s place, ask to see if there are things that they have that you can use. Moreover, unless you stock up on hotel soaps, shampoos, and conditioners like my mom does, it’s a smart idea to invest in reusable travel size toiletry containers like these from The Container Store.
2. Pajamas and Underwear: I know this seems silly, but trust me forgetting your pajamas or underwear will make you feel like a small failure (been there, done that).
3. Two Pairs of Bottoms: One of these could be worn as part of your travel outfit. Of course, jeans are a must for any trip, and I recommend having a pair of dark-washed jeans that could also double as a nighttime outfit. Make sure whatever you to take (jeans, leggings, khakis, etc.) is versatile and can be worn more than once.
4. Three tops: I usually pack comfortable cotton tees or some shirts I can easily layer if it gets cold
5. One or Two Going Out Outfits: Depending on any plans you may have it is best to have about one or two outfits ready for nighttime. Bring some dressier tops for your dark jeans or perhaps your go-to little black dress.
6. One Jacket/Sweater/Fleece: Weather is unpredictable so make sure you have something to keep you warm just in case anything happens.
7. Two Pairs of Shoes: For a girl with one too many shoes like me, this is at times the hardest part. However, for short weekend trips it’s best to take a comfortable pair of walking shoes like some Chuck Taylors plus a nice pair of shoes for your going out outfits.
8. Umbrella: Look at number 6.
9. Camera: Remember to charge the battery.
10. MP3 player: Remember to charge the battery.
Remember, versatility for weekend travel outfits is key so try to make sure all the pieces that you pack can be worn interchangeably with each other. Attempting to stick to this formula will also make sure that you don’t overpack and weigh yourself down to much.